26 August, 2008

Tuesday 26th August, 2008

Time: c. 3:45PM - 5:00PM.
Location:
Chair: Ben Daniel.
Minute-Taker: Marcus Kirkpatrick.

Attendees (Required): Ben Daniel, Kourosh Kakhi, Marcus Kirkpatrick, Dean Perkins, Kate Perry and James Romeril.
Attendees (Optional): N/A
Absentees: N/A

Supervisor(s): Kathleen Keogh.
Client: N/A

Next Meeting: Thursday 28th August, 2008.
Time: 1:30PM.
Location: TBA

Agenda:
An agenda was not set for this meeting. It was an open discussion and impromptu.

Discussed Items:
1. Project Scope Increase
- After much discussion, it was decided that an appropriate scope increase for the project would be to develop a Girl Guides Badge Datbase:
> The database would have the following requirements:
o The ability to store data regarding multiple badges, including descriptions, images and information regarding how to earn the badge;
o A plug-in will have to be scripted to interface the database with Joomla! so that the client only needs to use a single application to update both web site and database content; and
o The team will pre-fill content for 5 badge items.

- The team believes that the bulk of the work will be the user documentation to support the database, and the scripting of the Joomla! plug-in, as opposed to the creation of the database itself.

2. Project Timeline Estimations
- An estimation of how long the project is expected to take, as well as estimated role assignments was created.
- Ben is to finalise this document and forward it to Kathleen so that she can approve whether or not the project scope is now suitable.

Other:
- N/A

Tuesday 26th August, 2008

Time: c. 2:30PM - 3:45PM.
Location: Kathleen Keogh's Office, University of Ballarat, Mt. Helen Campus.
Chair: Ben Daniel.
Minute-Taker: Marcus Kirkpatrick.

Attendees (Required): Ben Daniel, Kourosh Kakhi, Marcus Kirkpatrick, Dean Perkins, Kate Perry and James Romeril.
Attendees (Optional): Sandra Herbert (Supervisor).
Absentees: Sandra Herbert (Supervisor).

Supervisor(s): Kathleen Keogh.
Client: N/A

Next Meeting: Thursday 28th August, 2008.
Time: 1:30PM.
Location: TBA

Agenda:
1. Status Reports from all Team Members
2. Supervisor Feedback / Comments (Sandra Herbert)
3. Project Scope Increase
4. Other Business

Discussed Items:
1. Status Reports from all Team Members
- It was agreed that the scope increase was a more pressing issue, therefore this item could be skipped for today.
- Timesheets will instead be used as Status Reports.

2. Supervisor Feedback / Comments (Sandra Herbert)
- It was agreed that the scope increase was a more pressing issue, therefore this item could be skipped for today.

3. Project Scope Increase
- Team E advised Kathleen that we do not believe we can increase the scope of the project for the following reasons:
> Current estimations indicate that an increase in the project scope would take, at the very least, an additional 4 weeks to complete;
> The client, Cherie Brown, does not necessarily want the scope of the project to be increased as she is happy with the project as it is;
> Dean advised Kathleen that he, and other team members, are doing 2-3 other subjects this semester - each with multiple assignments - therefore, increasing the scope in this subject would be unrealistic and may result in the failure of other subjects; and
> If scope were to be increased, then documention from CP783 would need to be re-written to reflect the changes, and the client would have to sign off on it.

- Kathleen advised the following:
> An extension to the subject, to accomodate an increased scope, can be negotiated;
> Increasing the scope does not necessarily require the modification of existing documentation, producing new documents, that solely reflect the changed scope, can instead be produced;
> The subject requires a 10-hour commitment per week, that needs to be reflected in timesheets;
o This IS currently the case - however, Kathleen contended that we are still required to do more.
> Without increasing the scope, the best the project team can hope for, is a 'pass' for the unit;
> Kathleen advisd that the concerns made regarding the project scope were made this semester, not the last semester; and
> Currently, the scope, and work involved in our project, is not comparable to those of other groups.

- Team E raised the following concerns:
> Why should we have to increase the scope of the project, when the 'problem' hasn't been identified by the CP783/CP784 staff after a full semester (CP783), and an additional 4-5 weeks?
> Team E also argued that the following should also be taken into account:
o We have had ALL of our documents signed off by both supervisors and the client;
o The supervisors whom raised this issue of an innapropriate scope, and Kathleen, approved the scope of the project in CP783 when they reviewed our project documentation, including the SRS and SPMP, which fully identified the scope of the project and the work that is to be undertaken;
* Kathleen advised that the time she took off to attend conferences, and her 'unfamiliarity' with Joomla! may have impacted upon her decison, as she was not fully aware of what the scope was.
* Team E advised Kathleen that they had fully explained Joomla! and how it would be utilised by the project team in their presentation which they made in CP783. Kathleen attended this presentation and did not raise any concerns, rather the group received a high mark.
> Team E did not have any scope-related concerns raised in CP783 by Kathleen or their supervisor; and
> Team E is currently on their third and fourth supervisors, which makes our project environment fairly unstable. They were / are:
o William Harvey;
o Scott Hebbard;
o Sandra Herbert (current); and
o Kathleen Keogh (current).
> The group also advised that whilst, compared to other teams, our coding may be lesser, it is more than likely our user documentation will be a lot more detailed and is a primary focus of our scope.
o Kathleen acknowledged this, but didn't elaborate further.

- Kathleen didn't necessarily address each of these concerns, rather she pointed out, that in order to get a 'pass' in this subject the scope has to be increased.

- Team E were forced to agree that they realised what had to be done:
> Ben: Agreed that the scope needed to be increased, but still had concerns;
> Kourosh: Agreed that the scope needed to be increased.
> Marcus: Agreed that the scope needed to be increased, but still had concerns;
> Dean: Agreed that the scope needed to be increased, but still had concerns;
> Kate: Agreed that the scope needed to be increased, but still had concerns;
> James: Agreed that the scope needed to be increased, but pointed out that the coding is by no means minimal - the template will require at least several hundred lines of code.

4. Other Business
- There was nothing else that could be brought forward.

Other:
- The group needs to think of a scope increase before the end of the week - Friday 29th August, 2008 - and forward it to Kathleen via e-mail for approval.
- Kathleen also requires an approximation of hours to be spent on the project.

12 August, 2008

Tuesday 12th August, 2008

August 12th

Time: c.3:30PM - 4:30PM
Location: T249, University of Ballarat, Mt. Helen Campus.
Chair: Ben Daniel.
Minute-Taker: Marcus Kirkpatrick.

Attendees (Required): Ben Daniel, Kourosh Kakhi, Marcus Kirkpatrick, Dean Perkins and Kate Perry.
Attendees (Optional): N/A
Absentees: James Romeril (Absent - no excuse).

Supervisor(s): Sandra Herbert and Kathleen Keogh
Client: N/A

Next TBA
Time: TBA
Location: TBA

Agenda:
1. Status Reports from all Team Members
2. Supervisor Feedback / Comments
3. Communication
4. Other Business

Discussed Items:
1. Status Reports from all Team Members
- Ben: Provided a status report;
- Kourosh: Provided a status report;
- Marcus: Provided a status report;
- Dean: Provided a status report; and
- Kate: Provided a status report.

- For information as to what was reported, please review individual timesheets.

2. Supervisor Feedback / Comments
- Per Kathleen:
> SDD:
o Kathleen advised that the SDD requires more content.
o Kathleen advised that the content related to Joomla! is great for future maintenance but NOT for the system design.
o Kathleen was concerned that the SDD doesn't easily define how a page is to be added, and suggested adding a paragraph similar to the following "... each page based on a description in a Joomla! template... ".
* Dean provided a quick overview that the content of each page is stored in a JOS content task linked within the JOS menu.
o Kathleen acknowledged that this would be suitable for the SDD and that our group definetely needs to include more "gutsy" stuff in order to get a better mark.
o Kathleen further advised that a description of the coding languages, such as "CSS" are required, as is a paragraph describing how Team E is override the default Joomla! settings to "personalise" the system for the Ballarat Girl Guides.

3. Communication
- Per Ben Daniel:
> The team requires improved communication as there are still a few bugs plagueing the project.
> Sandra is to be "cc'd" in on all e-mails until the group is communicating effectively.
o Her role will be to help the group if we are experiencing difficulties, and will help the group work through problems.

4. Other Business
- Poster:
> The poster is to display the default architecture of the system, however it may need to be modified to make it to more dynamic.
> A site map or storyboard for each page would be a good starting point.
o A good idea would be to mention how it contains a consistent layout across each page.
o A folder/tree-style approach could be useful.
> The poster needs to clearly show what Joomla! does and how Team E are customising it for their client (Ballarat Girl Guides).
> The poster could include information describing what the "template" provides and exactly what the Joomla! CMS does and what Team E is doing themselves.
> Kathleen advised that a good idea would be to narrow down the subset with templates, and include information relating to:
o What happens to information?
o Where is information stored?
o Constraints.
> Kourosh advised that he had experience designing posters and was assigned the role.
o The poster will be A2-sized.

Other:
- Team Roles:
> Ben is to continue to finish a list of team roles and e-mail them to all members of Team E and Kathleen and Sandra.
- WBS:
> Ben has completed a WBS and will e-mail it to the supervisors tonight.
- Server Errors:
> Dean has resolved some server errors and is trying to fix another.

06 August, 2008

Supervisor Meeting 03/08/08

Supervisor Meeting 03/08/08

Chair: Ben Daniel
Attendance: Ben Daniel, Dean Perkins, Kourosh Kakhi, James Romeril, Kate Perry & Sandra Herbert
Absent: Marcus Kirkpatrick

Start Time: 3.30pm
End Time: 4.25pm

Discussion:
Ben:
  • Format/Grammer Update of SDD
  • Room Finding for Project Meetings
  • Task assignment table
  • Update of Schedule
  • Update of Roles and Responsibilities
James:
  • HTML layouts
  • Research into how to add some other colors to the website
Kourosh:
  • Storyboarding for SDD
  • Found SADD/SDD IEEE standard (sent to Dean)
Dean:
  • Updated SADD/SDD to IEEE standard
  • Updated Diagrams, Architecture in SADD/SDD
  • Update of SADD/SDD wording flow
Kate:
  • Target Audience Research
  • Update Communication Plan to Team Document Template
  • Update Change Management Plan Document to Team Document Template
  • Update Risk Management Plan to Team Document Template
  • Research into PHP Bulletin Board Security and Policing
Group on behalf of Marcus:
  • Layout - Measurements and Placement
  • HTML layouts

Action Items:
Ben:
  • PDF Gantt chart
  • Update roles and responsibilies in SPMP
  • Update Schedule
James:
  • Create HTML Layout of page(s) in color
Kate:
  • Add Data Dictionary to SADD/SDD
  • Send PHP Bulletin Board Screen Shots to Kourosh
  • Update Risk Management Plan
  • Update Communication Management Plan
Dean:
  • Get Guide pages back online (or zipped & emailed to Kourosh & Kate)
  • Update SADD/SDD with Storyboarding from Kourosh
Kourosh:
  • Send Storyboarding to Dean
Team:
  • Review SADD/SDD by Thursday and Discuss during meeting
  • Quiz/Game(s)/Survey/Badge-Activity Database
  • Question document review with Team A
  • Design Poster

29 July, 2008

Tuesday 29th July, 2008

Time: c. 11:00PM - 11:40PM.
Location: Room T124, University of Ballarat, Mt. Helen Campus.
Chair: Ben Daniel.
Minute-Taker: Marcus Kirkaptrick.

Attendees (Required): Ben Daniel, Luke Johnstone, Kourosh Kakhi, Marcus Kirkpatrick, Dean Perkins and Kate Perry.
Attendees (Optional):
Absentees: James Romeril.

Supervisor(s):
Client:

Next Meeting: TBA
Time: TBA
Location: TBA

Agenda:
An agenda was not set for this meeting. It was an open discussion.

Discussed Items:
1. Communication
- ALL e-mails have to be replied to within a 48-hour period EVEN if it is merely an acknowledgement reply.
- The only excemption to this rule is if the e-mail explicitly states a reply is not required.

- Ben advised the following:
> He is now keeping a 'roll call' in Microsoft Excel which will be used to record replies received for e-mails and meeting attendance.
> If someone's performance isn't satisfactory he will notify them.

- If a team member is consistently failing to perform, be it attending meetings or replying to e-mails, it will result in a meeting with the Project Manager and Conflic Resolution Manager prior to Supervisor involvement.

2. SADD
- Ben is to perform the final edit of this document before submission on Monday 4th August, 2008 (the due date).

- The work break-down of the SADD is as follows:
> Technical Components (Dean)
o Architectural design;
o Database design and overview; and
o Joomla! plug-ins.
> Story Boards (Kourosh and Marcus)
o The story boards need to show the following:
* Main pages; and
* Forum / Bulletin Boards (including forum discussions and thread overviews).
o Kourosh has had experience with storyboarding and is confident that he can undertake the bulk of this task.
o Marcus is to perform layout overviews for the site (including approximate dimensions and image locations) and forward to Kourosh and the rest of the group via e-mail.
> Decision Log (Dean)
> Modular Algorithm Design (Kate)
> Data Storage Layout (Dean)

- Please e-mail individually completed components to Ben ASAP (no later than Sundary 3rd August, 2008).

3. SPMP - Edit
- Marcus is to undertake an SPMP edit due Monday week (Monday 11th August, 2008).

- Updates to this document will include:
> Roles and Responsibilities: To reflect the inclusion of a Conflict Resoluion Manager.
> Team Communication: The introduct of a 'Team Communication' section to reflect the communication requirements within the team, i.e. replies to all e-mails required.
> Updates to Appendicies:
o Communications Management Plan: to be update by Marcus; and
o Risk Management Plan: to be updated by Kate.

4. Site Design
- A site design was supposed to be produced and finalised by James, however, the group has not been provided with any evidence to show that this work has been completed.

- Marcus is now in charge of the site design (i.e. layout as opposed to technical design).
> NB: This means that the edits to the SPMP, assigned to Marcus, may now have to be assigned to someone else.
> Marcus showed a few potential design ideas on the whiteboard and will convert them into a Microsoft Paint diagram to be forwarded to all team members for review (including Koroush for storyboarding purposes).

5. Client Meeting
- An extended period of time has passed since Team E's last meeting with the client.
- Kate to organise a meeting with the client, to update her on the project status and discuss scope requirements, i.e. does the client require any additional work to be done?

6. Team Meetings - Timetables Required
- In order to effectively organise Team Meetings, Ben requires a copy of each team member's timetable.

- The timetables need to reflect:
> University classes and times (including Lectures, Labs and Tutorials);
> Work times; and
> If necessary, sport training times, e.g. football training.

7. New Member - Kourosh Kakhi
- Team E welcomes it's newest member Kourosh!
- Kourosh's role in the project will be discussed in this afternoon's informal meeting.

8. Further Design Requirements
- Kate is to research design elements and requirements for the project web site, this includes:
> Pages that appeal to the target audience, e.g. http://www.barbie.com, http://www.neopets.com, http://www.looneytunes.com, etc.
o The elements that make these sites appealing needs to be documented, and will most likely include:
* Brightness;
* Cartoony designs; and
* Ease-of-use.
> Kate is also going to research colour conventions.

- This information can be added to the research document.

9. Methodology - Site Creation
- A brief discussion took place as to how the site will be created.
- The discussion was limited, as the site's lead programmer, James, was absent from the meeting.
- A general consensus was met that the site will most likely be initially coded in Adobe Dreamweaver before then being converted into a Joomla! template.
- This assumption, will however, have to be confirmed with James.

Other:
- Kourosh mentioned that team=produced documents should conform to IEEE standards - Kate has volunteered to research these standards.

11 June, 2008

Meeting 02/06/08

Meeting 02/06/08

Chair: Ben Daniel
Attendance: Luke Johnstone, Dean Perkins, Scott Hebbard, Cherie Brown, James Romerill
Absent: Marcus Kirkpatrick, Kate Perry

Star time: 1.30
End Time: 2.30

Discussion
Scott
  • Prototype to be shown to scott
  • Show scott signed off SRS
Cherie
  • Looked over the SRS
  • Signed off the SRS
  • Discussed role changes
  • To email chereie MDhosting contact numbers
  • Content from old site still valid now
  • Went through sign in and passwords that will be used on the site
  • She mentioned navy blue to be the main colour scheme for the site
Group
  • Collanos
  • Decide new QA next Meeting
  • Kate is the new Client Liaison
  • Next Meeting to be Wednesday
  • Need client input form for the site design
  • Ben to meet with marcus at 3.30pm

29 May, 2008

Thursday 29th May, 2008

Time: c. 3:40PM - 4:50PM
Location: Room F312, University of Ballarat, Mt. Helen Campus
Chair: Ben Daniel.
Minute-Taker: Marcus Kirkpatrick.

Attendees (Required): Ben Daniel, Marcus Kirkpatrick, Kate Perry and James Romeril.
Attendees (Optional): N/A
Absentees: Luke Johnstone (University requirements) and Dean Perkins (family-related).

Supervisor(s): N/A
Client: N/A

Next Meeting: TBA
Time: TBA
Location: TBA

Agenda:
An agenda was not set for this meeting. It was an open discussion.

Discussed Items:
1. Cherie & Client Meeting (Monday 2nd June, 2008)
- Cherie requested that the client meeting be moved from 2:00PM to 1:00PM.
> Unavailabilities (at this newly proposed time):
o Ben, Dean and Marcus.

- The meeting may need to be re-assigned to SWOTVAC.

- It would be ideal if all team members could attend this meeting, as there is a potential issue with the signing of documents:
> Marcus advised that the signatures can be done virtually (as was the case with the Tender Proposal), therefore, the meeting can take place in either SWOTVAC or with just 2-3 people as opposed to the entire team.

- The meeting will go ahead with just Ben, Luke and James:
> A suitable time needs to be organised for when these team members and the client can meet together.

2. Collanos
- A 'draft' folder needs to be created in Collanos for documents that are currently under draft (so final versions are not accidentally over-written).
- Marcus will create this folder when uploading his timesheet.

3. Team Gmail Account
- The gmail account NEEDS to be used - it has come to our attention that other e-mail accounts are still be used for external correspondences - this should NOT be the case.

- All correspondence should be forwarded from Luke's student webmail account to the gmail account.
> Luke also needs to inform the client of the address change.

- Ben is to inform Luke of what is required.

4. Versioning
- Document versioning has become a problem for this group, as there is still some confusion as to how versioning ought to be undertaken.
- Marcus and the team members present at the meeting went over a proposed solution on the whiteboard.
- Marcus is to convey this information to the other team members (who were unable to attend) when possible.

- The following documents require a versioning table:
> SADD, SRS and SPMP.

Other:
- Thursday 5th June, 2008 Meeting:
> Brainstorm ideas session (site design / layout);
> Organisation of SWOTVAC and exam meeting times;
> Quality Assurance Manager (QAM), Communications Officer and Client Liason roles also need to be discussed (per Luke's departure); and
> Ben is still yet to schedule the meeting time, however, it will most likely be after 1:30PM.