10 March, 2008

Thursday 10th April, 2008

Time: c. 3:30PM - 4:00PM.
Location: Room T124, University of Ballarat, Mt. Helen Campus.
Chair: Ben Daniel
Minute-Taker: Marcus Kirkpatrick.

Attendees (Required): Ben Daniel, Luke Johnstone, Marcus Kirkpatrick, Dean Perkins, Kate Perry and James Romeril.
Attendees (Optional): N/A
Absentees: N/A

Supervisor(s): N/A
Client: N/A

Next Meeting: Thursday 17th April, 2008.
Time: 3:30PM.
Location: Room F312, University of Ballarat, Mt. Helen Campus.

Agenda:
An agenda was not set for this meeting. It was an open discussion.

Discussed Items:
1. SRS
- Luke, Dean and James are still working on the SRS.
- It should be ready for submission soon.

2. Website
- James has finished the Team E website - check it out!

3. Minutes
- Marcus advised that minutes should be finished and up-to-date by tomorrow.
- Any comments regarding the minutes would be appreciated, and can be sent to Marcus via e-mail.

4. SPMP
- The SPMP was completed and submitted on time, and a mark for this task will be relayed to the team soon.

5. Timesheets
- These need to be completed and updated ASAP.
- Currently ALL team members are behind on this task - please address this issue individually.

6. Working Prototype
- A working prototype NEEDS to be finished by Week 10.
- Dean, Marcus and James have been assigned this task.

Other:
N/A

06 March, 2008

Thursday 6th March, 2008

Time: c. 3:30PM - 4:30PM.
Location: Room F312, University of Ballarat, Mt. Helen.
Chair: Dean Perkins / Kate Perry.
Minute-Taker: Marcus Kirkpatrick.

Attendees (Required): Ben Daniel, Luke Johnstone, Marcus Kirkpatrick, Dean Perkins, Kate Perry and James Romeril.
Attendees (Optional): N/A
Absentees: N/A

Supervisor(s): N/A
Client: N/A

Next Meeting: Wednesday 12th March, 2008.
Time: 1:30PM.
Location: Room T124, University of Ballarat, Mt. Helen Campus.

Agenda:
1. Review Girl Guides Draft Tender

Discussed Items:
1. Review Girl Guides Draft Tender
Reviewed sections of the Girl Guides Draft Tender:

- Letter of Request
- Introduction
> Project Title
> Project Scope
> Length of Commitment
- Team Profile
> Team Members
> Team Member Profiles
o Ben Daniel
o Luke Johnstone
o Marcus Kirkpatrick
o Dean Perkins
o Kate Perry
o James Romeril
- Reasons Why Our Team Should Be Considered For This Project
- Declaration

The tender has been approved by all team members and is ready for submission. As Marcus’ is having Internet connection problems, Dean Perkins is to e-mail the completed tender to the Project Supervisors.

Draft Tender ready for submission.

Other:
- As of the 4th March, 2008, Ben Daniel has completed portions of the DotProject task entry. The currently entered tasks are the milestones listed in the Unit Description. Tasks not listed in the Unit Description are still to be added.
- Dean Perkins has created DotProject user accounts for the Project Supervisors, and is to e-mail the details to both individuals.
> SCOTT: userID = scott_h, password = hebbard123
> userID = william_h, password = harvey123

03 March, 2008

Monday 3rd March, 2008.

Time: c. 1:30PM - 2:00PM.
Location: Room T124, University of Ballarat, Mt. Helen Campus.
Chair: Dean Perkins / Kate Perry.
Minute-Taker: Marcus Kirkpatrick.

Attendees (Required): Ben Daniel, Luke Johnstone, Marcus Kirkpatrick, Dean Perkins, Kate Perry and James Romeril.
Attendees (Optional): N/A
Absentees: N/A

Supervisor(s): N/A
Client: N/A

Next Meeting: Thursday 6th Match, 2008.
Time: 3:30PM.
Location: Room F312, University of Ballarat, Mt. Helen Campus.

Agenda:
1. Luke Johnstone – Group Return
2. Website – Purpose?
3. Draft Tender
4. DotProject Tasks
5. Uniformed Software

Discussed Items:
1. Luke Johnstone – Group Return
Per an e-mail sent to all team members, Luke Johnstone, has departed returned to the group.

The group now contains the original six members for the first two semesters of the project.

Team roles will no longer need to be re-assessed.

2. Website – Purpose?
Confusion over the purpose of the project team website exists – is it just for news updates and links to the server, or should it contain other information, e.g. team member information, project scope etc.?
The majority of team members believe the former, however, Marcus believes it is the latter.

The website is to be developed under the pretence that it is only for news updates and links to the server.

This issue can be re-addressed at a later date.

3. Draft Tender
The draft tender wasn’t completed, and the progress made on the document was minimal.
Whilst it was initially decided that the Athletic Club Database was the preferential project, Kate raised the issue that it may not have existing hardware and software resources that could be utilised – like the Girl Guides project. Therefore, our project should be for the Girl Guides.
All project members are to e-mail Marcus a list of their Skills/Attributes, Study Details and Work Experience(s) prior to the 6th March, 2008.
The focus has shifted from the Athletics Club Database to the Girl Guides project.

Marcus to draft a tender for the Girl Guides project and forward it to all team members for review prior to submission
All project members are to e-mail Marcus a list of their Skills/Attributes, Study Details and Work Experience(s) prior to the 6th March, 2008.

4. DotProject Tasks
Project-related tasks are to be setup in DotProject for planning purposes. The WBS (to an extent) is to be based upon these tasks.
As it is estimated that this task will take quite bit of time, the due date is to be parallel that of the SPMP – Friday 21st March, 2008.

Ben Daniel is to setup project-related tasks in DotProject. Due date Friday 21st March, 2008.

The completion of this tasks is a pre-requisite to the WBS and therefore, the SPMP also.

5. Uniformed Software
Ben raised the issue of uniformed software at the prior meeting, i.e. Office 2007, and the potential benefits. It has been decided that the Project Team will use MS Office 2007 (as opposed to earlier versions).
Consequently, all file types will end with the ‘x’ extension. Users without the MS Office 2007 programs will not be able to open these file types, however a plug-in, available from the Microsoft website can be installed on the user’s PC to provide appropriate access. A link to this plug-in will be placed appropriately on the team website.
All project members are to save files under the Microsoft Office 2007 extensions. A link to a Microsoft hosted plug-in (to provide access for users of earlier Office versions) is to be placed appropriately on the team website.

Kate doesn’t have MS Office 2007 so this may potentially be an issue.

Other:
- Dean has resolved server-side issues and project-hosting capabilities (including DotProject) are up and running.
- Kathleen Keogh and the group supervisor(s) are to be provided with read-only access to the server.
- Dean Perkins to do FTP.
- Ben to investigate SMTP server for file upload notification.

28 February, 2008

Thursday 28th February, 2008

Time: c. 3:30PM - 4:30PM.
Location: (Outside) Room F312, University of Ballarat, Mt. Helen Campus.
Chair: Dean Perkins.
Minute-Taker: Marcus Kirkpatrick.

Attendees (Required): Ben Daniel, Marcus Kirkpatrick and Dean Perkins.
Attendees (Optional): N/A
Absentees: Kate Perry (re Work Responsibilities), James Romeril (Enrolment Issues), Luke Johnstone (Group Departure).

Supervisor(s): N/A
Client: N/A

Next Meeting: Monday 3rd March, 2008.
Time: 1:30PM.
Location: Airport Lounge, University of Ballarat, Mt. Helen Campus.

Agenda:
1. Luke Johnstone – Group Departure
2. Further Discussions re Project Server / Database
3. Further Discussions re Develop Shortlist of Potential Projects
4. Record(s) of Correspondence
5. File Naming Conventions

Discussed Items:
1. Luke Johnstone – Group Departure
Per an e-mail sent to all team members, Luke Johnstone, has departed from the group.

The group has now been brought back down to five team members.

Team roles will need to be re-assessed at the next team meeting (when all team members are available) to re-allocate Luke’s intended tasks.

2. Further Discussions re Project Server / Database
DotProject (open-source software) is the preferred operating platform.
Dean started hosting a server on the 27th February, 2008, with Dean and Marcus remotely testing the server (Marcus was able to log-on).
Dean is prepared to keep the server running 100% of the time, however, at the moment he is using a Windows 2000 platform and cannot find a compatible anti-virus (thus, it is down at the time-being). If you are aware of an AV that runs on this platform, please contact Dean.
Dean will host a DotProject server with 24/7 access, however an anti-virus program compatible with Windows 2000 is required. Team members aware of a possible solution are to contact Dean.

Anti-virus software compatible with Windows 2000 is required before the server can be 24/7 operational.

3. Further Discussions re Develop Shortlist of Potential Projects
Ben proposed a revised shortlist of potential projects. These included:
- 3. Club / Community (Rod Griffin) – Athletic Club Database;
- 42. Small Business (Baden & Deborah Cutts) – Ecommerce website – customers selecting photos;
- 68. Girl Guides (Cherie) – Website + database.

After discussions it was decided that the Athletic Club Database was the preferred project, followed by the Girl Guides. The small business (customers selecting photos) wasn’t considered practical and has since been removed from the list;
Marcus to draft a tender for the Athletic Club Database and forward it to all team members for review prior to submission


4. Record(s) of Correspondence
Marcus proposed that records of all correspondence (both internal and external) are to be kept starting from 03/03/08, to help manage potential risks arising from unforseen externalities. (NB: If internal correspondences are always sent to the whole team, i.e. not just one team member, only one person is required to maintain the records. Marcus has volunteered for this role – to be further discussed at next team meeting

This may be impractical, so instead, when sending an e-mail, cc to everyone, and ensure that copies are kept (possibly in a folder separate to inbox and/or sent).

5. File Naming Conventions
Marcus has proposed a naming convention for project files:
- For incoming correspondences: ic---document title, e.g. ic-2008.02.28-Tender Response
- For outgoing correspondences: ic-document title, e.g. ic-2008.02.28-Tender Request
- For internal correspondences: me-subject line, e.g. ic-2008.02.28-Project Update
- For other documents and working papers: wp--document title, e.g. wp-2008.02.28-SPMP_v1

Marcus to e-mail list of file naming conventions to all team members to adopt.

Subject to review – if better conventions can be suggestions, then please make the team aware.

Other:
Uniformed Software: Ben raised the issue of uniformed software, i.e. Office 2007, and the potential benefits. To be discussed further at the next meeting.

25 February, 2008

Monday 25th February, 2008

Time: c. 4:30PM - 5:30PM.
Location: Lab F302, University of Ballarat, Mt. Helen Campus.
Chair: Kate Perry.
Minute-Taker: Marcus Kirkpatrick.

Attendees (Required): Ben Daniel, Luke Johnstone, Marcus Kirkpatrick, Dean Perkins, Kate Perry and James Romeril.
Attendees (Optional): N/A
Absentees: N/A

Supervisor(s): N/A
Client: N/A

Next Meeting: Thursday 28th February, 2008.
Time: 2:30PM.
Location: (Outside) Room F312, University of Ballarat, Mt. Helen Campus.

Agenda:
N/A - This was the initial meeting. No agenda had been prepared.

Discussed Items:
1. Group Formation and Introductions
Formation of group, including introductions and preliminary assignment of roles.
Furthermore, this included the discussion of team expectations and goals (a common aim is a HD marking for the subject(s)), as well as the exchange of contact details and timetables / availability.

Ben Daniel (Programmer)
Mobile: 0417 323 410
MSN: mail@bendaniel.id.au

Luke Johnstone (Client Liaison)
Mobile: 0407 685 088
E-Mail: lwjohnstone@students.ballarat.edu.au

Marcus Kirkpatrick (Documenter)
Mobile: 0408 501 946
E-Mail: kirky.au@gmail.com
MSN: kirky_au@hotmail.com

Dean Perkins (Programmer)
Mobile: 0427 689 607
E-Mail: camel.holocaust@gmail.com

Kate Perry (Project Manager)
Mobile: 0400 107 410
E-Mail: kate_perry1@bigpond.com
MSN: kate_perry_28@hotmail.com

James Romeril (Programmer)
Mobile: 0439 320 831
E-Mail: j.romeril@gmail.com
MSN: rompom7@hotmail.com

Notes: Luke Johnstone is only undertaking CP783, and therefore, will only be involved with the initial two semesters of the project.

2. Develop Shortlist of Projects
Group discussion and shortlist of potential projects (per Excel Spreadsheet received from Kathleen Keogh).

The shortlist of possible tasks was narrowed down to:
- 3. Club / Community (Rod Griffin) – Athletic Club Database;
- 5. Small Business (Robin Tait) – 11-a-side Football Tournament;
- 9. Black Hill PR (Mark Kennedy) – Sports Field;
- 13. Apex Victoria (Craig Fletcher) – Development of Media Contact database for Apex Victoria;
- 36. Community – UoB Student Society (Melissa Burnside) – Second-hand book shop on a contingent basis-Inventory Management System;
- 42. Small Business (Baden & Deborah Cutts) – Ecommerce website – customers selecting photos;
- 66. Small Business (Jeroen Rens) – Ecommerce website for small business;
- 68. Girl Guides (Cherie) – Website + database; and
- 76. Prendergaast Builder – Online quote – database and website.

Dean Perkins is to contact Kathleen Keogh (Lecturer) for further information re shortlisted items. This information is to be then forwarded to all team members for further discussion at next team meeting.

3. Project Server / Database
Team discussions identified the requirement for a ‘Project Server / Database’ (herein called server) with 24/7 availability.
The server requires secure multi-user access and the ability to upload and download files.
DotProject (open-source) avenue, discussed in CP783 lectures, requires further investigation as it seems to meet desired criteria.

DotProject (open-source), and other potential avenues, to be investigated before next team meeting; and
Team members with potential hosting capabilities to inform team at next meeting

Limited knowledge of servers and open-source software prohibited in-depth discussions. Research on this area is required.

4. Document Format
Per team discussions, each team member has Microsoft Office 2007. Thus, the newer Microsoft Office document extensions (e.g., docx (as opposed to .doc), xlsx (xls), pptx (ppt)) can be utilised. This is beneficial as formatting is improved in these versions.
It was also noted that these formats are not backwards compatible with prior versions of Office, therefore those with previous versions must download and install the required plug-in. Therefore, it is beneficial that we place appropriate links on the team website.

The newer Microsoft Office 2007 extensions (e.g., docx (as opposed to .doc), xlsx (xls), pptx (ppt)) are to be used. A link to the required accessibility plug-in (for those with older versions of Microsoft Office) is to be placed on the team website.

Other:
Project Server / Database - Research: Team members to investigate DotProject (open-source), and other potential avenues, before next team meeting.
Team members with potential hosting capabilities to inform team at next meeting
Document Formatting: The newer Microsoft Office 2007 extensions (e.g., docx (as opposed to .doc), xlsx (xls), pptx (ppt)) are to be used. A link to the required accessibility plug-in (for those with older versions of Microsoft Office) is to be placed on the team website.